- April 13, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: National Organisations
Context: ‘Torture’ of 28 prisoners: NHRC asks chief secy to report on action taken.
National Human Rights Commission (NHRC):
- It is a statutory body established on 12th October, 1993 under the Protection of Human Rights Act (PHRA), 1993.
- The Act also provides for the creation of the State Human Rights Commission as well.
- The chairperson is a retired chief justice of India or a judge of the Supreme Court.
- They are appointed by the President on the recommendations of a six-member committee consisting of:
Prime Minister (head)
Speaker of the Lok Sabha
Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
Leaders of the Opposition in both the Houses of Parliament
Union Home Minister.
Term and removal:
- They hold office for a term of three years or until they attain the age of 70 years, whichever is earlier.
- The President can remove them from the office under specific circumstances.