- March 10, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Context: Both the Houses of Parliament adjourned without taking up any major agenda on Tuesday too, as the Opposition continued protests demanding a debate on the increasing prices of petroleum products.
- An adjournment suspends the work in a sitting for a specified time, which may be hours, days or weeks. In this case, the time of reassembly is specified.
- An adjournment only terminates a sitting and not a session of the House.
- The power of adjournment lies with the presiding officer of the House.
Adjournment Sine Die
- Adjournment sine die means terminating a sitting of Parliament for an indefinite period. In other words, when the House is adjourned without naming a day for reassembly, it is called adjournment sine die.
- The power of adjournment sine die lies with the presiding officer of the House.
- Note: The presiding officer of a House can call a sitting of the House before the date or time to which it has been adjourned or at any time after the House has been adjourned sine die.