- February 21, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
TOPIC: Art & Culture
Context- Srinagar-born designer Zubair Kirmani repurposing the shawls as wall hangings using kufic calligraphy.
- Pashmina is known world over as cashmere wool, it comes from a special goat (Capra hircus) living at an altitude of 12000 to 14000 ft.
- Shawls are produced by two techniques, loom woven or kani shawls and the needle embroidered or sozni shawls.
- Pashmina Shawls are GI certified.
- Calligraphy is a visual art related to writing. It is the design and execution of lettering with a pen, ink brush, or other writing instrument.
- Kufic is the oldest calligraphic form of the various Arabic scripts.
- Arabic calligraphy became one of the most important branches of Islamic Art.
- The name of the script derives from Kufa, a city in southern Iraq which was considered as an intellectual center within the early Islamic period.