PHASED MANUFACTURING PROGRAMME
- November 8, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Govt Schemes
Phased Manufacturing Programme
- The PLI follows the phased manufacturing programme (PMP) which was launched in 2016-17.
- The PMP aimed to increase the share of locally-procured components in the manufacturing of mobile phones leading to the setting up of a “robust indigenous mobile manufacturing ecosystem in India.”
- The PMP incentivised the manufacture of low value accessories initially, and then moved on to the manufacture of higher value components.
- This was done by increasing the basic customs duty on the imports of these accessories or components.