- December 1, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Geography
Context – Polavaram — displaced and nowhere to go: Several await houses, compensation
- Polavaram Project is located in Andhra Pradesh on the river Godavari, near Polavaram village.
- It is a multi-purpose irrigation project as the project once completed will provide Irrigation benefits and will generate HydroElectric Power. In addition, this project will also supply drinking water.
- It will facilitate an inter-basin transfer to the Krishna river basin through its Right canal.
- It will also provide indirect benefits such as development of Pisciculture (breeding and rearing of fish), tourism and urbanisation.
- The Project has been accorded national project status by the union government in 2014 (under Section-90 of Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act, 2014).
- Its reservoir spreads in parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa States also.