- March 9, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Context: Multi-billion deals for 30 armed drones from the U.S. and six advanced submarines under Project-75I are likely to be taken by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) in April for approval, a government official said.
Project 75I-Class Submarine
- The Project 75I-class submarine is follow-on of the Project 75 Kalvari-class submarines for the Indian Navy.
- Under this project, the Indian Navy intends to acquire six diesel-electric submarines, which will also feature advanced Air-independent propulsion (AIP) systems to enable them to stay submerged for longer duration and substantially increase their operational range.
- In October 2014, the project got clearance from Defence Acquisition Council.
- All six submarines are expected to be constructed in Indian shipyards.
- The Project 75I-class submarines will have a vertical launch system (VLS) to enable them to carry multiple Brahmos supersonic cruise missiles, making the submarines fully capable of anti-surface and anti-ship warfare missions.