PUBLIC AFFAIRS INDEX
- October 31, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject : Governance / Report
Context: In the recently released Public Affairs Index-2020, Kerala was adjudged the best governed State in the large States category, while Uttar Pradesh ended at the bottom.
- The index is released by the Public Affairs Centre, a not-for-profit organization, headed by former Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) chairman K. Kasturirangan.
- The index ranks States based on governance performance giving a composite index in the context of sustainable development.
Performance of different States:
Large State category
- At the top: Four southern States – Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka stood in the first four ranks in terms of governance.
- At the bottom: Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and Bihar were at the bottom of the ranking.
Small State category
- At the top: Goa ranked first, followed by Meghalaya and Himachal Pradesh.
- The worst performers with negative points: Manipur, Delhi and Uttarakhand.
- Chandigarh emerged at the top in the category of Union Territories followed by Puducherry and Lakshadweep.
- Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Andaman, Jammu and Kashmir and Nicobar were the worst performers.