- November 30, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Context : The Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change grants environment clearance for opening the bar mouth in pulicat lake permanently at a cost of ₹27 crore, the State government has informed the Madras High Court.
- Over 90,000 birds, including storks and pelicans, have come from faraway places to the lake this year attracting both domestic and foreign tourists.
- Pulicat Lagoon is the second largest brackish water lagoon in India, after Chilika Lake. It is present in the Coromondal Region i.e. Andhra Pradesh–Tamil Nadu Border.
- The barrier island of Sriharikota separates the lake from the Bay of Bengal and is home to the Satish Dhawan Space Centre.
- The primary inflows to the Pulicat Lake are Arani, Kalangi and Swarnamukhi.
- About 96% of the Pulicat Lake is present in Andhra Pradesh while only 3% is present in Tamil Nadu.