- July 30, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Science and tech
India has inducted five French Rafale aircraft which will be a game changer in many ways in Indian Air force.
- The delivery is part of the India-France deal for 36 fighter jets that was signed in September 2016 for around Rs 58,000 crore
- The aircraft are capable of carrying a range of potent weapons. European missile maker MBDA’s Meteor beyond visual range air-to-air missile, SCALP cruise missiles and MICA weapons system will be the mainstay of the weapons package of the Rafale jets.
- Meteor is the next generation of BVR air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) designed to revolutionise air-to-air combat. The Meteor missile can target enemy aircraft from 150 km away. It can destroy enemy aircraft before they actually even get close to the Indian aircraft.
- The Indian Air Force is also procuring new generation medium-range modular air-to-ground weapon system Hammer to integrate with the Rafale jets.