- February 22, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Context: Experts have warned about Red-eared turtle as world’s worst invasive species and has emerged as the major threat to the biodiversity in the Kerala as it was sighted in Kalathode canal in Kerala.
- Post the Pink bloom (alien flower) which choked the AvalaPandi canal at Perambra, the Kerala is witnessing another major threat in form of Red-eared turtle.
About Red-Eared Turtle
- These are Exotic and major invasive species and these are omnivores.
- Adult turtles require lots of aquatic plants.
- It is scientifically called Trachemys scripta elegans and is loved for its small-size (small turtles even fit into matchbox) and colour. But pet lovers release it into water bodies once it grows big.
- The slider turtles live in still and warm waterbodies. They are considered a major threat to native turtle species as they mature fast, grow larger, produce more offspring and are very aggressive
- They eat plants and animals, they can finish off a wide range of aquatic species, including fish and rare frogs. In places such as Australia and the European Union, it is illegal to import and keep these turtles.