- April 25, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Science & tech
Context: On reproduction metric, Covid can be spreading faster in UP, Jharkhand and Bihar.
- The R-naught, or R0, is a virus’s basic reproductive number — an epidemiologic metric used to describe the contagiousness of infectious agents.
- At its simplest, the basic reproductive number can show us how worried we should be about infection
- If the R0 is above one, each case is expected to infect at least one other person on average, and the virus is likely to keep spreading.
- If it’s less than one, a group of infected people are less likely to spread the infection.
- The national average for the R-value, or reproduction number, one of the parameters of Covid-19 transmission, is 1.32, indicating that one infected person spreads the virus to more than one but less than two people.