- February 23, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
TOPIC: Science &Tech
Context- The government of India plans to take accelerated steps to distribute fortiﬁed rice through the social safety net schemes of Targeted Public Distribution System, PM Poshan and ICDS in all parts of the country by 2024 in a phased manner.
- Currently, the pilot scheme is being implemented in 11 districts.
Fortification of Rice:
- It refers to the addition of key vitamins and minerals to increase the nutritional value of rice.
- The fortified Rice generally contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, Iron and Zinc.
- A review, conducted by Food Fortification Initiative indicated that iron deficiency, ferritin, haemoglobin and anaemia recorded a significant improvement in the intervention group.
- Another study found signiﬁcant improvements in cognitive test scores and haemoglobin concentrations, and reduction in anaemia in the intervention group.