Russia-India-China (RIC) RIC
- June 23, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Ministry of External Affairs has announced that it will participate in the virtual meeting of the Russia-India-China (RIC) grouping scheduled to be held on 23rd June, 2020.
- RIC is a strategic grouping, conceived by the then Russian foreign minister Yevgeny Primakov in 1998.
- But the idea of meeting at the leader’s level on a more sustained has not happened.
- 2nd Russia-India-China ‘RIC’ Trilateral Summit took place in Buenos Aires after a gap of 12 years in 2018.
- They emphasised on the need to promote multilateralism, reform institutions of global governance like the UN and the WTO and highlighted the need to work together to steer global economic governance.
- The three countries agreed to have regular consultations to jointly promote international and regional peace and stability, to strengthen cooperation through BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa), the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) and the East Asia Summit (EAS) mechanisms, to address global challenges such as terrorism and climate change, and to encourage peaceful resolution of all differences.