- September 16, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Polity
Context – PM launches Sansad TV, calls it voice of the House
- Sansad TV, a news channel combining the Lok Sabha TV and the Rajya Sabha TV, was launched.
- Calling the Sansad TV the new voice of Parliament, the Prime Minister said this added another important chapter to the parliamentary system. He said Parliament was not only about politics but it was about policy too.
- Describing India as the mother of democracy, Mr. Modi also said democracy was not only a constitutional structure for the people of India, but spirit as well.
- A single channel for Parliament had become a reality after careful consideration of the recommendations of a committee set up in November 2019.
- The LSTV, which was the brainchild of former Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, has been functioning for 15 years and the RSTV for 10 years.
- The new combined channel is expected to bring in synergy and economies of scale, he said. It is significant that Sansad TV’s launch coincided with the International Day of Democracy.
- When Parliament is in session, both channels will continue to operate as before bringing in the live telecast. But when it is in recess, only Sansad TV will be telecast.