- November 19, 2022
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
India’s deep tech startups need higher seed and early stage funding to grow faster.
In India only 11 per cent of total technology-related funding is going to deep tech.
Deep tech or deep technology startups are enterprises that work in the area of emerging technologies like artificial intelligence (AI), robotics, quantum, blockchain, Internet of Things (IoT), drones and augmented reality (AR).
- Seed funding is an investment made by an individual for a business to grow. It is generally the earliest form of capital a startup will raise
- Often, seed funding comes from angel investors, friends and family members, and the original company founders.
- Seed funding is used to start the company itself, and consequently it is fairly high risk: the company has not yet proven itself within the market.
- The purpose of seed funding is intended to give a founding team enough capital to pursue a certain idea or market to prove if the concept works.
- The initial investment— seed funding—is followed by various rounds, known as Series A, B, and C.
Types of Seed Funding for Startups
- Crowdfunding-is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising money from a large number of people, typically via the internet.
- Corporate seed funds-A corporate seed fund is a big source for these company’s startups. These companies, including other big companies, use the fund as a great source for their profit.
- Incubators-Incubators help entrepreneurs solve some of the problems commonly associated with running a startup by providing workspace, seed funding, mentoring, and training.
- Accelerators-Private startup accelerators do provide funding and the money helps cover early-stage business expenses, as well as travel and living expenses for the three-month residency at the in-person startup accelerators.
- Startup accelerators generally take between 5% and 10% of your equity in exchange for training and a relatively small amount of funding.
- Angel investors- an angel investor is an individual that is looking to diversify their investment portfolio and back intriguing startups. Angel investors help businesses with capital funds whenever the startups have issues in growth in the early stages.
- Personal Savings-In this type, the founders of the companies use their wealth and savings as the source for seed funding.
- Debt Funding-Usually, money provided by banks or any other financial as loans is considered to be debt funding.
- Convertible Securities-Depending upon the progress or growth of the company, the loans provided as seed round changed to equity form.
- Angel Funds or Angel Networks-Many a time, many investors are pooled together to invest money in the early stage of the financing round. The formation of investors is known as Angle networks.
- VC Funding-Based on the following parameters, venture capitalists provide funds.