- December 16, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Science and Tech
Context – Cabinet approves ₹76,000 crore push for semiconductor makers
- Semiconductor, any of a class of crystalline solids intermediate in electrical conductivity between a conductor and an insulator.
- Common elemental semiconductors are silicon and germanium. Common semiconductor compounds are such as gallium arsenide or indium antimonide.
- ICs(integrated circuits) and electronic discrete components such as diodes and transistors are made of semiconductors..
- Semiconductors were used only as two-terminal devices, such as rectifiers and photo diodes semiconductors are used in solar technology
- Used in 3D printing machines
- Temperature sensors which used in air conditioners are made with semiconductor devices.
- Semiconductors play a central role in the operation of bank ATMs, trains, the internet, communications and other parts of the social infrastructure, such as the medical network used for the care of elderly, among other things.
- Semiconductor devices are used in microchips in computer, calculator, solar plates and other electronics devices.
- The semiconductor technology have driven systems efficiency, miniaturization and energy savings, which in turn help to preserve the global environment in addition to achieving safe and comfortable life and to create prosperous future.
- Semiconductors have no requirement of filament heating so semiconductors device such as transistor takes place in almost all vacuum tube applications. Because of the filament vacuum tube requires heat for operation. Advantages
- Semiconductor devices are solid-state devices. So they are shockproof.
- Semiconductor devices are so small in size which makes it easily portable.
- It has Less cost than a vacuum tube.
- Semiconductor devices require less input power for operation.
- During the operation period, it does not make any noise. So we can see semiconductor devices are noise-free devices.
- Semiconductor materials have a longer lifespan. They have an almost unlimited life.