- August 23, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Art and Culture
- The Shankaracharya Temple is also known as the Jyeshteshwara Temple. It is situated on top of the Shankaracharya Hill on the Zabarwan Range in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir,
- It is locally known as Takht-e-Sulaiman.
- It is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- The temple is at a height of 1,000 feet (300 m) above the valley floor and overlooks the city of Srinagar.
- It was visited by AdiShankara and has ever since been associated with him.
- It is also regarded as sacred by Buddhists.
- Every year Kashmiri Hindus celebrate Mahashivaratri festival there with great pomp and joy.