- September 16, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Art and Culture
Context – A photo on social media of the Pop Star in a printed shirt throws light on the unique Solapur Chhadar.
- A Solapurichaddar, is a cotton bed sheet made in the Solapur city of the Indian state of Maharashtra.
- These bed sheets are popular in India where they are manufactured using hand looms and are known for their design, durability and all-season use.
- Solapurichaddars were the first product in Maharashtra to obtain Geographical Indication (GI) status.
- Solapur is known for its textile industry. Once it had Asia’s largest spinning mills. The development of the handloom weaving industry in Solapur seems to have commenced during the regime of the Peshwas.
- Apart from Maharashtra, Solapuri Chaddar has demand in Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan within India, while it also has demand in United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, South Africa, United States, United Kingdom and Canada.
To know about GI Tag and recent GI products, please click here.