- May 1, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Important Personalities
Context: Soli Sorabjee passed away on 30 April 2021 due to COVID-19.
- Soli Jehangir Sorabjee (1930 – 2021) was an Indian jurist.
- In 1971, Sorabjee was designated a senior advocate of the Bombay High Court.
- He served as Solicitor-General of India from 1977 to 1980.
- He served as Attorney-General for India from 1989 to 1990, and again from 1998 to 2004.
- In 2002, he received the Padma Vibhushan for his defence of the freedom of expression and the protection of human rights. He worked on the Citizen’s Justice Committee which represented the 1984 anti-Sikh riots victims pro bono.
- Some of the other cases in which he appeared include: KesavanandaBharati v. State of Kerala, Maneka Gandhi v Union of India, S. R. Bommai v. Union of India, and I.R. Coelho v. State of Tamil Nadu.
- He also appeared in the case of B.P. Singhal v. Union of India, in which the Supreme Court held that state governors could not be dismissed without due cause.