- July 27, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Leader of the Opposition Mallikarjun Kharge reiterated the demand that under Rule 267, other House businesses should be suspended to have a discussion on the Pegasus issue in the presence of the Prime Minister or the Home Minister.
Special Mention In Rajya Sabha:
- Special Mention is yet another device through which a member can raise an issue of public importance in the House.
- It is based on the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in Rajya Sabha. Prior to July 2000, the procedure for making a Special Mention was not included in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in Rajya Sabha; it was based on the practice obtained in the House.
- A matter which cannot be raised during question hour, half-an-hour discussion, short duration discussion or under adjournment motion, calling attention notice or under any rule of the House can be raised under the special mention in the Rajya Sabha.
- The selection of a Special Mention to be made by a member in the House is entirely the prerogative of the Chairman. Under normal circumstances, only one Special Mention is allowed to be made by a member during a week unless the Chairman directs otherwise.
- Number of Special Mention matters per sitting: As regards the number of Special Mentions per sitting, it has been provided in rule 180D(2) that it is not to exceed seven. But the Chairman considering the state of business, importance of the subject and other relevant matters while permitting Special Mentions at a sitting of the House may permit more than the prescribed number.
- Supplementaries are not allowed on special mentions.
- When Special Mentions are made in the House, as a general practice, the Ministers, who may be present in the House, do not react immediately to the matters so mentioned by members. If the concerned Minister is present and wishes to reply, he is permitted to do so but it is not obligatory for him to reply.