- April 5, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject : Science & tech
Context : Nod soon for Sputnik V rollout, amid virus surge.
- The vaccine has been called Sputnik V, named after the first artificial Earth satellite, Sputnik-I launched by the Soviet Union.
- It is the first Covid-19 vaccine to be approved.
- This vaccine has been developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute in collaboration with the Russia’s defence ministry.
- The vaccine is based on the DNA of a SARS-CoV-2 type adenovirus, a common cold virus.
- The vaccine uses the weakened virus to deliver small parts of a pathogen and stimulate an immune response.
- The vaccine is administered in two doses and consists of two types of a human adenovirus, each carrying an S-antigen of the new coronavirus, which enter human cells and produce an immune response.