- February 6, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject : International Organisations
Context : India and South Africa to make it’s last ditch attempt for TRIPS waiver for COVID Vaccines.
Council for Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS Council)
- It monitors implementation of the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (the TRIPS Agreement).
- It is open to all WTO members and observers.
- It provides a forum in which WTO Members can consult on intellectual property matters, and carries out the specific responsibilities assigned to the Council in the TRIPS Agreement.
- The TRIPS Agreement:
- sets the minimum standards of protection for copyrights and related rights, trademarks, geographical indications (GIs), industrial designs, patents, integrated circuit layout designs, and undisclosed information.
- establishes minimum standards for the enforcement of intellectual property rights (IPRs) through civil actions for infringement, actions at the border,
- and at least in regard to copyright piracy and trademark counterfeiting, in criminal actions.