- October 12, 2022
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject : International relations
- UNSC is considered the nucleus of the UN system.
- It is the only body of UN which has teeth to bite. It has a major say in all critical appointment in UN
- Chapter VI of the UN charter gives a mandate to UNSC to settle disputes peacefully through mediation and secure a ceasefire through peacekeeping force.
- Chapter VII of UN charter give power to UNSC to impose military and economic sanctions
How will it be reform?
- The UNSC reform requires an amendment to the Charter of the United Nations.
- In the first stage, the UN General Assembly must approve the reform by a two-thirds majority.
- After approval from the UNGeneral Assembly, the amended Charter must then be ratified by at least two-thirds of the member states, including the five permanent Security Council members.
- According to Article 108of the Charter all the permanent members of the Security Council must ratify the amendment otherwise it will not be accepted.