- February 27, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Context- India, along with China and the UAE, abstained from the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolution sponsored by the U.S. and Albania on Saturday, that sought to condemn Russian aggression and called for the immediate withdrawal of Russian military from Ukraine.
About UNSC Resolutions:
- United Nations resolutions are formal expressions of the opinion or will of United Nations organs.
- A United Nations Security Council resolution is a United Nations resolution adopted by the fifteen members of the Security Council (UNSC), the United Nations (UN) body charged with “primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security”.
- The UN Charter specifies in Article 27 passing and voting on the resolutions.
- The Security Council was established by the UN Charter in 1945.
- The council is headquartered at New York.
- It is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.
- The other 5 organs of the United Nations are—the General Assembly (UNGA), the Trusteeship Council, the Economic and Social Council, the International Court of Justice, and the Secretariat.
- Its primary responsibility is to work to maintain international peace and security.
- The council has 15 members: the five permanent members and ten non-permanent members elected for two-year terms.
- The five permanent members are the United States, the Russian Federation, France, China and the United Kingdom.
- Each year, the General Assembly elects five non-permanent members (out of ten in total) for a two-year term. The ten non-permanent seats are distributed on a regional basis.
- Voting Powers:
- Each member of the Security Council has one vote.
- Decisions of the Security Council on matters are made by an affirmative vote of nine members including the concurring votes of the permanent members.
- A “No” vote from one of the five permanent members blocks the passage of the resolution.
- Any member of the United Nations which is not a member of the Security Council may participate, without vote.