- June 24, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is on a three-day trip to Russia to attend the 75th Victory Day where India’s tri-services contingent is going to participate in the Victory Day Parade.
- Victory Day marks the end of World War II and the victory of the Allied Forces in 1945.
- Though Adolf Hitler had shot himself on April 30, only on May 7, German troops surrendered.
- This was formally accepted the next day, and came into effect on May 9.
- In most European countries, it is celebrated on May 8, and is called the Victory in Europe Day.
- The erstwhile Soviet Union had not wanted the surrender to take place in the west, and wanted that such a significant event should reflect the contribution of the Red Army and the Soviet population.
- According to military historian, Joseph Stalin, premier of the Soviet Union, wanted Germany to also sign surrender in Berlin.
- So Russia has celebration on May 9.