- December 29, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Governance
Context – 23 December 2021 marked the 100th anniversary of the Visva-Bharati University set up by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore
- It is a public central university and an Institution of National Importance located in Shantiniketan, West Bengal, India.
- It was founded by Rabindranath Tagore who called it Visva-Bharati, which means the communion of the world with India.
- Until independence it was a college. Soon after independence, the institution was given the status of a central university in 1951 by an act of the Parliament.
- At Visva-Bharati, if a course demanded by a student is not available, then the university will design a course and bring teachers for that course.
- Rabindranath Tagore believed in open-air education and had reservations about any teaching done within four walls.