World Food Day
- October 17, 2022
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
World Food Day
Subject : Social Issue
Context : This year’s World Food Day (October 16) should be a reminder to ensure that the most vulnerable people within our communities have easy access to safe and nutritious food and to end hunger by 2030.
World Food Day
- Every year on October 16 in observance of the date the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations was established in 1945, World Food Day is marked.
- The main objectives are to combat world hunger and work toward its eradication.
- The theme for World Food Day 2022 is Leave NO ONE behind.
Hunger Hotspot Outlook Report
- Recently, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the World Food Programme (WFP) released a report named Hunger Hotspots – October 22 – January 23.
- According to the recently published Report , up to 205 million people are expected to face acute food insecurity and to be in need of urgent assistance (IPC/CH Phase 3 or above or equivalent) in 45 countries.
- Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Nigeria, South Sudan, Somalia and Yemen remain at the highest alert level,which require the most urgent attention.
- Significant food security schemes in India
National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013:
- It legally entitled up to 75% of the rural population and 50% of the urban population to receive subsidized food grains under the Targeted Public Distribution System.
- Foodgrains under NFSA were to be made available at subsidized prices of Rs. 3/2/1 per kg for rice, wheat and coarse grains respectively
- The eldest woman of the household of age 18 years or above is mandated to be the head of the household for the purpose of issuing ration cards under the Act.
- AntyodayaAnna Yojana: It constitute the poorest of-the-poor, are entitled to receive 35 kg of foodgrains per household per month.
PM Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana (PMGKAY):
- It aimed at providing each person who is covered under the National Food Security Act 2013 with an additional 5 kg grains (wheat or rice) for free, in addition to the 5 kg of subsidised foodgrain already provided through the Public Distribution System (PDS).
PM Poshan Scheme
- In September 2021, the Union Cabinet approved the Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Nirman or PM-POSHAN for providing one hot cooked meal in Government and Government-aided schools with the financial outlay of Rs 1.31 trillion.
- The scheme replaced the national programme for mid-day meal in schools or Mid-day Meal Scheme.
- It has been launched for an initial period of five years (2021-22 to 2025-26).
Integrated Child Development Service (ICDS)-1975
- The Integrated Child Development Service (ICDS) Scheme is a flagship programme of GOI for providing for supplementary nutrition, immunization and pre-school education to the children.
- ICDS is a centrally sponsored scheme implemented by state governments and union territories.
- The scheme is universal covering all the districts of the country.
- The Scheme has been renamed as AnganwadiServices.
- The ICDS Scheme offers a package of six services, viz. Supplementary Nutrition, Pre-school non-formal education, Nutrition & health education, Immunization, Health check-up and Referral services.
- Children in the age group of 0-6 years
- Pregnant women and
- Lactating mothers.
Foodand Agriculture Organization
- FAO is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
- It is one of the UN food aid organisations based in Rome (Italy).
- Its sister bodies are the World Food Programme and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
World Food Programme
- It is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
- It was awarded, Nobel Peace Prize in 2020 for its efforts to combat hunger
- It was founded in 1961 by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) with its headquarters in Rome, Italy.
- WFP focuses on emergency assistance as well as rehabilitation and development aid.