50 Years of UNEP
- March 26, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
50 Years of UNEP
Section: International Organizations and Conventions
Context: UNEP celebrates 50 years of solving world’s environmental challenges.
- In 1972, the UNGA passed what is formally known as UN-Resolution 2997.It would be the last step in the establishment of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) – an organisation conceived to spearhead a global effort to minimize humanity’s footprint on the planet.
- Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya.
- Governing Body: UNEA(formed in 2012) – meets once in two years.
- Major Functions: It hosts various Conventions like Minamata Convention, UNCBD, CITES, Basel Convention, Stockholm Convention, Rotterdam Convention, Montreal Protocol, Vienna Convention, CMS, Carpathian, Bamako, Tehran Convention.
- Main activities: are related to Climate Change, Disasters and Conflicts, Ecosystem management, Environmental Governance, Chemicals and waste, Resource Efficiency.
- Important Treaties signed under UNEP: IPCC, Conservation of Migratory Species (CMS), Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the Multilateral Fund for the implementation of Montreal Protocol.
- In 2021, member states approved UNEP’s new Medium-Term Strategy (MTS)for 2022- 25that outlines UNEP’s contribution to the ‘2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development’ and the Programme for Work 2022-23.
- Multilateral Organization Performance Assessment Network (MOPAN) was initiated in 2021 by Belgium, Netherlands and Switzerland and comprises of 21 countries that assess the performance (2016-20)of the major multilateral organizations they fund.
Important Initiatives undertaken by UNEP so far:
- Regional Seas Programme, 1974
- Clean up the world Campaign, 1993
- TUNZA, 2003
- Billion Tree Campaign, 2006
- Faith for Earth Initiative, 2008
- World Environment Day (June 5th)
- Earth Hour
- Not all animals migrate by choice campaign, 2019
Reports of UNEP:
- Emission Gap Report
- Adaptation Gap Report
- Global Environment Outlook
- Invest in a Healthy Planet