Daily Practice Sheet 30 June 2020
- June 30, 2020
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPS
On this Day
30th June is observed as death anniversary of Dada Bhai Naroji also known as the “Grand Old Man of India” and “Unofficial Ambassador of India”
Personality of the Day: Dada Bhai Naroji
- Founded London Indian Society 1857 and the East India Association 1866.
- The two organisations sought to bring nationalist Indians and sympathetic Britons on one platform.
- As the secretary of the East India Association, Naoroji travelled in India to gather funds and raise national awareness.
- In 1885, Naoroji became a vice-president of the Bombay Presidency Association, was nominated to the Bombay legislative council by Governor Lord Reay, and helped form the Indian National Congress (INC).
- He was Congress president thrice, in 1886, 1893, and 1906.
- The first session of the Congress in 1885 passed a resolution calling for the formation of a standing committee in the British House of Commons for considering protests from legislative bodies in India.
- Naoroji dedicated his efforts towards this objective when he returned to England in 1886.
Other notable achievements
- Naoroji was first Asian to get elected to the British Parliament.
- In the British Parliament, Naoroji worked to bring Indian issues to the fore.
- In 1893, he helped form an Indian parliamentary committee to attend to Indian interests.
- Naoroji was a vocal critic of the colonial economic policy in India. In 1895, he became a member of the royal commission on Indian expenditure.
- A moderate himself, Naoroji acted as a liaison between nationalist Indians and British parliamentarians.
Proponent of the ‘Drain Theory’
- Dadabhai Naoroji was the key proponents of the ‘Drain Theory’. He discussed this in his 1901 book ‘Poverty and Un-British Rule in India’..
- Naoroji argued that imperial Britain was draining away India’s wealth to itself through exploitative economic policies.
Daily Prelims Topic
- Sec 69A of IT Act
- Expenditure Management measures:
- Equalization levy
- Open Market Operation and Operation twist:
- Global Financial Stability Report
- Kharif Season and crops
- PMFME scheme
- One District One Product:
- Anti-Dumping duty and counter vailing
- Director General of Trade Remedies
- Middle east quartet
- UN Charter and Geneva Convention
- World Bank STARS project
- National data Sharing and Accessibility policy
- Kolongchuu Project
- Plasma Bank
- Dada Bhai Naroji’s Death anniversary
- The unorganized food processing sector comprising nearly 25 lakh units contribute to 74% of employment in food processing sector.
- Nearly 66% of these units are located in rural areas and about 80% of them are family-based enterprises supporting livelihood rural household and minimizing their migration to urban areas.
- West Bank
- Chenab valley
Daily Mains Mantra
GS 1: History
- Discuss the factors that led to imperialism in the 18th and 19th [Reference: Edition CNN]
- Discuss the role played by Dadabhai Naroji in national awakening during 19th and early 20th
Context: Death anniversary of Dadabhai Naroji
- Examine the economic critique of colonialism presented by early nationalists. How it became the foundation for future freedom struggle movement. [Reference: Indian Express]
GS 2: Governance
- In the background of overflowing granaries and widespread prevalent hunger discuss the need for universalization of PDS. [Reference: The Hindu]
GS 3: Economy
- What do you understand by digital sovereignty? What challenges India faces to achieve digital sovereignty? [Reference: The Hindu]
- Food processing sector has the potential to double farmers Income. In this context, discuss the challenges faced by food processing sector in India. [Reference: PIB]
- Discuss the role played by infrastructure in economic growth. [Reference: Indian Express]
GS 3: Environment
- What do you understand by EIA? Critically examine the draft EIA notification 2020. [Reference: Indian Express]
GS 4: Ethics