- September 13, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Context – Green hydrogen spawns new industry
- Green hydrogen (g-hydrogen) is hydrogen produced without carbon footprint.
- The most favoured process for producing g-hydrogen is using electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The machine that does this is the ‘electrolyser’.
- The manufacture of electrolysers is a huge emerging business opportunity — but one that requires the industrialist to keep a sharp eye on the technology.
- Electrolysis is the process used to split water into oxygen and hydrogen. An electrolyser is the system in which electrolysis is done, making it the most vital part in terms of making hydrogen economically viable.
- In chemistry and manufacturing, electrolysis is a technique that uses direct electric current (DC) to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction.
- Electrolysis is commercially important as a stage in the separation of elements from naturally occurring sources such as ores using an electrolytic cell.
- The voltage that is needed for electrolysis to occur is called the decomposition potential.
To know more about green hydrogen, please click here.
Also, to know more about National Hydrogen Mission, please click here.