- December 7, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject – Environment
Context – As told to Parliament (December 6, 2021): Cases of environment-related offences almost doubled in 2020
- The number of cases registered for environment-related offences increased to 61,767 in 2020 from 34,676 in 2019, according to Crime in India report 2020.
- India supported a ‘non-binding’ Zero Emission Vehicles Transition Council (ZEVTC) declaration at the 26th Conference of Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- The declaration calls for working intensely towards accelerated proliferation and adoption of zero emission vehicles.
- The Central Ground Water Authority was constituted under Section 3 (3) of the “Environment (Protection) Act, 1986” for the purpose of regulation and control of groundwater development and management.
- The Government of India is providing financial assistance to the identified water bodies under the Repair, Renovation and Restoration of Water Bodies component of the Pradhan MantriKrishiSinchayeeYojana — HarKhetKoPani.
- Swachhharat Mission-Urban 2.0 launched October 1, 2021 has a major focus on making the cities garbage-free during the mission period.
To know about Environment-related offences, please refer September 2021 DPN.