Export Promotion Organizations
- May 18, 2022
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Export Promotion Organizations
Section: External Sector
A stable and sustained increase in India’s export requires next generation reforms in its domestic trade institutions which act as catalysts to the growth of exports.
Trade promotion bodies-The following is a list of Export Promotion Organisations in India, it includes Export Promotion Councils, Commodity Boards and Export development authorities. These are Non-Profit Organizations that are responsible for developing and promoting the export industry of India.
- Export Promotion Councils
Presently, there are fourteen Export Promotion Councils under the administrative control of the Department of Commerce. These Councils are registered as non-profit organizations under the Companies Act/ Societies Registration Act. The Councils perform both advisory and executive functions. The role and functions of these Councils are guided by the Foreign Trade Policy, 2009-14. These Councils are also the registering authorities for exporters under the Foreign Trade Policy 2009-14.
- Commodity Boards
There are five statutory Commodity Boards under the Department of Commerce. These Boards are responsible for production, development and export of tea, coffee, rubber, spices and tobacco.
- The Coffee Board is a statutory organisation constituted under Section (4) of the Coffee Act, 1942 and functions under the administrative control of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India.
- The Rubber Board is a statutory organisation constituted under Section (4) of the Rubber Act, 1947 and functions under the administrative control of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The Tea Board was set up as a statutory body on 1st April, 1954 as per Section (4) of the Tea Act, 1953. As an apex body, it looks after the overall development of the tea industry.
- The Tobacco Board was constituted as a statutory body on 1st January, 1976 under Section (4) of the Tobacco Board Act, 1975. It is responsible for the development of the tobacco industry.
- The Spices Board was constituted as a statutory body on 26th February, 1987 under Section (3) of the Spices Board Act, 1986.The primary functions of the Board include production development of small and large cardamom, development and promotion of export of spices.
- Federation of India’s Exporters Organization
Federation of Indian Export Organisations popularly known as ‘FIEO’ is the apex body of the Government recognised Export Promotion Councils, Commodity Boards and Development Authorities in India. Set up in 1965 by the Ministry of Commerce, Govt. of India to focus the efforts of all stakeholders engaged in promotion of trade from the country, FIEO is a partner of Govt. of India to boost International Trade from India. FIEO provides the crucial interface between the International Trading community of India with the Central and State Governments, Financial Institutions, Ports, Railways, Surface Transport and all engaged in Export Trade Facilitation. The Federation directly and indirectly serves the interests of over 200,000 exporters from every Industry and Services sector in the country.
- The Export Development Authority looks into promotion of various other commodities not under the earlier Boards.
- Agriculture and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority-It is set up under an act of Parliament of 1986, APEDA looks after the promotion of exports of agriculture and processed food products.
- Marine Products Export Development Authority-Established in 1972, is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Commerce aimed at increasing export-oriented production, specifying standards, processing and export marketing of all kinds of fisheries and its products.
Partner Government Agencies (PGAs), facilitates Indian Customs for compliance of product standards. There are total 63 PGAs including:
- Food Safety Standards Authority of India for food and eatables, Plant Quarantine for ensuring Sanitary-Phyto-Sanitary Standards in compliance to domestic as well as international rules/treaties