GI tag for Beypore Uru
- December 15, 2022
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
GI tag for Beypore Uru
Subject: Science and Technology
- The District Tourism Promotion Council, Kozhikode has applied for a Geographical Indication (GI) tag for the famous Beypore Uru (boat).
About Beypore Uru:
- It is a wooden dhow (ship / sailing boat / sailing vessel) handcrafted by skilled artisans and carpenters in Beypore, Kerala.
- It is mainly made of Malabar teak, probably the biggest handicraft in the world.
- Beypore urus are purely made of wood, without using any modern techniques, and traditional methods are used to launch this ship into the water.
- The carpenters manually join each piece of wood to build the large boat.
- Uru making in Beypore is a centuries old tradition that was established since India began its maritime trade with Mesopotamia.
- Beypore Urus are a symbol of Kerala’s trade relations and friendship with the Gulf countries.
- Beypore is a town located on the banks of the Chaliyar River.
- According to records, Uru ships have been in high demand for around 2,000 years.
- The prominent people associated with Uru-making are Odayis and Khalasis.
- They manage the technical matters of ship building.
- Their family name comes from Odam (a type of small ship previously used in interactions/trade between the Malabar coast and Lakshadweep).
- The Khalasis are the traditional artisans responsible for the manufacture of the Uru.
- They are also referred to as Mappila Khalasis as majority of them are Mappila Muslims.
- They are the ones who launch these urus into the water, setting them ready for travel.
- Arab traders were especially enamoured of them, and were among the first major patrons of these vessels.
- It takes at least four years and the effort of over forty Khalasis to build an Uru.
Geographical Indication Tag
- It is an indication and it should originate from a definite geographical territory.
- It is used to identify agricultural, natural or manufactured goods
- It is an insignia on products having a unique geographical origin and evolution over centuries with regard to its special quality or reputed attributes.
- It is a mark of authenticity and ensures that registered authorized users or at least those residing inside the geographic territory are allowed to use the popular product names.
- GI tag in India is governed by Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration & Protection) Act, 1999. It is issued by the Geographical Indications Registry (Chennai).
What is the benefit of registration of geographical indications?
- It confers legal protection to Geographical Indications in India
- Prevents unauthorised use of a Registered Geographical Indication by others.
- It promotes economic prosperity of producers of goods produced in a geographical territory.
What Indications are not registrable?
- For registrability, the indications must fall within the scope of section 2(1)e of GI Act, 1999. Being so, it has to also satisfy the provisions of section 9, which prohibits registration of a Geographical Indication.
- the use of which would be likely to deceive or cause confusion; or
- the use of which would be contrary to any law for the time being in force; or
- which comprises or contains scandalous or obscene matter; or
- which comprises or contains any matter likely to hurt the time being in force; religious susceptibilities of any class or section of the citizens of India; or
- which would otherwise be dismantled to protection in a court; or
- which are determined to be generic names or indications of goods and are, therefore, not or ceased to be protected in their country of origin or which have fallen into disuse in that country; or
- which although literally true as to the territory region or locality in which the goods originate, but falsely represent to the persons that the goods originate in another territory, region or locality as the case may be.
How long the registration of Geographical Indication is valid?
- The registration of a geographical indication is valid for a period of 10 years
- It can be renewed from time to time for further period of 10 years each