- February 4, 2021
- Posted by: admin1
- Category: DPN Topics
Context: Namami Gange: Massive Scientific and Community based programs launched on World Wetland Day 2021.
Namami Gange Programme:
- It an Integrated Conservation Mission, approved as a ‘Flagship Programme’ in June 2014.
- It seeks to accomplish the twin objectives of effective abatement of pollution and conservation and rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
- It is being operated under Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The program is being implemented by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), and its state counterpart organizations i.e., State Program Management Groups (SPMGs).
- NMCG is the implementation wing of National Ganga Council (set in 2016; which replaced the National Ganga River Basin Authority (NRGBA).
- National Ganga Council (NGC) was Created in October 2016 under the River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016. It is Headed by Prime Minister.
- It has a Rs. 20,000-crore, centrally-funded, non-lapsable corpus and consists of nearly 288 projects.
- Main Pillars of the Namami Gange Programme are:
Sewerage Treatment Infrastructure
Industrial Effluent Monitoring