- May 4, 2021
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
Subject: Science & tech
Context: With many patients in the current Covid-19 wave reporting a drop in oxygen saturation levels, in turn requiring hospitalisation, AIIMS Director DrRandeepGuleria warned against indiscriminate prescription of steroids, as well as CT scans and tests, for those with mild symptoms.
- Steroids are a man-made version of chemicals, known as hormones that are made naturally in the human body. Steroids are designed to act like these hormones to reduce inflammation.
- They’re also known as corticosteroids, and are different to anabolic steroids used by bodybuilders and athletes.
- Steroids won’t cure your condition, but they’re very good at reducing inflammation and will ease symptoms such as swelling, pain and stiffness.
- Usually inflammation is the body’s natural reaction to infection or bacteria.
- Your immune system produces extra fluid to fight infections or bacteria, which causes swelling, redness and heat in the affected area.
- In some conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, the immune system produces inflammation in the joints or other parts of the body by mistake, which can cause permanent damage if left untreated.
- Steroids can be used to reduce this immune reaction.