First vaccine to be authorized
- August 25, 2020
- Posted by: OptimizeIAS Team
- Category: DPN Topics
While Russia is facing criticism for approving a novel Coronavirus vaccine without completing all the mandatory tests, it has now emerged that China has already begun injecting its people with a vaccine which is still under development.
- The vaccine in question, being developed by state-owned Sinopharm, is currently undergoing phase-3 trials in the United Arab Emirates. But senior Chinese health official revealed on state television that it was already being administered to people since July 22 under emergency use authorisation.
- This vaccine is different from the one that has been approved for use only on the soldiers of China’s People’s Liberation Army.
- That vaccine, developed bCanSino Biologics in collaboration with Academy of Military Medical Sciences, was approved for limited use in the last week of June.
- Sinopharm vaccine, therefore, is the first vaccine to be authorised for use on general public, though only on special groups right now.